Sunday, December 11, 2011

Holiday Pie Baking

Recently my friends, Holly and David, moved into a beautiful home with an especially beautiful kitchen. A kitchen of which I am very jealous. For the most part I love my apartment, but it's lacking in the kitchen department. I have roughly a foot of counter space. Holly and David, on the other hand, have what feels like a million feet of granite. My first reaction was "I would make so many pies if I lived here!" There's so much space to roll out dough. Thankfully they both love to cook so they took me up on it.

Yesterday we had an awesome day of pie baking, egg nog drinking and listening to Christmas music. Could I be happier? (Read that in Chandler voice.) David made all the crust from scratch and it was awesome. I've made scratch crusts before and they're fine but not spectacular. I've said before that I don't think they're that much better than store bought, so I gave it up. David may have swayed me back. I was always worried about over working the dough and making it tough. I learned from David that I wasn't working it at all. His crusts were so smooth and gorgeous, but still tender and flaky when baked. He also sold me on a french rolling pin. I always hated those ones with the handles so I quit using them. I'll confess I've been using a glass rum bottle. We made five pies and it was hard not to cut them all. It was such a lovely day and a wonderful addition to my holiday season. Thanks guys. xo

Classic apple. The perspective with my feet is ridiculous in this one.

Apple Sausage. Totally over stuffed. David made homemade sausage for this. It was so much more delicious than store-bought and rather easy. I'll blog it soon.

Toll House Pie. I had to walk away from this one so I didn't cut it too.

Old Fashion Cream Pie. This a family recipe of Holly's. It blew my mind. You'll probably hear more about this too.

And the coupe de gras...Cherry with a lattice top. I love making a lattice top and this one turned out so nicely. I was worried it wasn't full enough and look how much it overflowed! Oops.

2 comments:

  1. You seriously have to come back over and try the Old-Fashioned Cream Pie. It's seriously so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that cream pie so bad I could scream. I don't even know that I've had one but I feel a cream pie shaped hole in my heart. Also, that lattice is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete