Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Butternut Squash Hummus

When I saw this recipe on Craft I knew I had to make it. It's a delightfully simple recipe from Delighted Momma. (see what I did there?) I had some friends over for dinner on Saturday and figured it was a great chance to try it. This is one of those recipes to add to the "ridiculously simple yet impressive" pile. 

What you will need:
  • 2 cups of butternut squash
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 1/2 cup of tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. 
  • 2 cloves of garlic. 
  • The juice from half of a lemon
  • A dash of cumin
  • 3 dashes of cinnamon
  • 3-4 dashes of pepper




Slice the butternut squash into small pieces and boil for about 8-9 minutes or until soft. Throw all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth and creamy. I told you it was simple.



It's very delicious and was a hit with my guests. My food processor is really little so I had to do it in batches. It's also not that great, so mine wasn't perfectly smooth. A better, larger food processor or a blender probably yields a smoother hummus, but mine was still yummy. I served it with soft pita triangles, but you could use it all the ways you use your favorite hummus now. I plan on putting it in a sandwich with veggies tomorrow. The jar of tahini was kind of expensive so I'm going to look for other recipes it can be used in.

1 comment: