Sunday, April 3, 2011

Vegetarian pockets

I'm going to level with you guys. I love puff pastry. I shouldn't, but I do. It's all Martha Stewart's fault. She has all these recipes for tarts made with frozen puff pastry and she got me hooked. I made a few tarts and they were delicious. I moved on to jelly filled turnovers. Also good. Then I thought about making a version of a hand-pie with puffy pastry. I started with breakfast pockets with eggs, crumbled sausage and cheese. Love 'em. I made this dinner option one weekend, loved it and thought I'd share it with you.



Ingredients:
-frozen puff pastry sheets
-tofu crumble
-baby portabellas, chopped
-medium onion, chopped
-frozen peas
-fontina cheese
-one egg

Fontina is a tangy, buttery cheese that's pretty soft. Stick in the freezer while you prepare and it will be easier to shred later. Take the puff pastry out of the box and let it thaw on the counter. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Start by chopping your mushrooms and onions. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil, if you prefer) in a pan and add mushrooms and onion. Saute until softened. Stir in tofu crumbles until heated through. I find the tofu crumble to be very salty so I don't add any additional salt. Take the cheese out of the freezer, shred about 2/3 of it. Remove your pan from the heat and stir into the cheese. Let the mixture come to room temperature and stir in as many peas as you'd like. Season to taste. Sometimes I add a little cayenne pepper. Make an egg wash with one beaten egg and a splash of warm water. Take the puff pastry out of the wrapper and unfold it. Press the seams so that they don't split and cut into four equal squares. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of one square so that they'll stick. Fold the long sides together and press the bottom shut like so...



Now you can fill it with your tofu mixture and seal the other three edges. Brush the outside with egg wash so it will be nice and golden when it comes out of the oven. I bake mine on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat, which I recommend, but you'd probably be ok with a non-stick cookie sheet. Continue until you've filled all your pastry squares. You can get 8 out of the two sheets of puff pastry included in one box. I always have leftover mixture that's awesome stirred into pasta. But you could make a second batch of pockets if you'd like.



Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and puffy. You can turn them over half way through if you'd like. They end up crispier that way, but I don't always remember to do it.  Let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before you plate them. Personally I like mine with a little ketchup on the side.



Have fun and experiment! You can put anything you want inside a pocket. I've made these with prepared pie dough, and they're good, but I definitely prefer puff pastry to traditional pastry for these.




No comments:

Post a Comment