Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nutella Meringues

I've been baking, but not blogging, and I'm getting caught up today. I saw this recipe online, at Cream Puffs In Venice, and thought it looked amazing. Nutella+meringue? Yes, please. Plus they're pretty simple and only take 3 egg whites. It made more cookies than I expected.  Basically, you melt Nutella in a double boiler, make a meringue, fold in the cooled Nutella and bake.



My family makes "mint meringues" every year Christmas which is just meringue cookies with green food coloring and mint chocolate chips. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I like them better. I suspect my meringue was too stiff when I stirred in the Nutella, which was a bit too hot still. So mine came out flat, too crunchy (in my opinion) but sticky where the Nutella was. She also bakes hers differently than my grandmother taught me.




The author of the recipe instructs you to bake these on parchment-lined baking sheets. My grandmother always baked meringues on brown-paper-grocery-bag-lined baking sheets. I used a silicone baking mat. All of them do essentially the same thing, which is give you a flexible, less adherent surface. You would never get whole cookies off the sheet otherwise. If you enjoy baking, do yourself the favor and buy a silicone baking mat. They're wonderful and nothing in the world sticks to them.

Maybe I'd make these again, if someone wanted them, but probably not for myself.  Truthfully, I'm not sure I like Nutella as much as I think I do. I feel like I love it but then I'm underwhelmed when I eat it. I say, try these for yourself and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think this new double boiler will help you in your kitchen?
    Please post your comment on Youtube page if you like.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD-JI8iMGs

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete