Monday, September 12, 2011

Roasted chicken

One of the biggest reasons I wanted a french oven was for chicken. Specifically, for Julia Child's Coq au Vin recipe, but that's for later. For starters I wanted to do a basic roasted chicken with vegetables. I like the simplicity and flavors of Ina Garten's recipe. It's straight forward and uncomplicated while still sounding delicious. I also freaking love fennel and was pumped to try it like this. But alas, my local grocery store didn't have any. The only thing I changed out the recipe was swapping tiny red potatoes for fennel.



I am so pleased with the result! It was gorgeous and so flavorful. A roasted chicken is an economical, yet impressive way to serve guests. I would be proud to put this dish on the table.





The vegetables were so good. I could eat myself sick on roasted carrots. The onions from the bottom of pan poured over the chicken was amazing. I will absolutely try this the next time I see fennel in the store. I may try other vegetables like turnips or cauliflower.

2 comments: