Thursday, September 29, 2011

butternut squash soup with shrimp

Everyday Food is great with making recipes that repeat ingredients so that you use up all that you buy but without getting bored of the flavors. I love that. This used that left over butternut squash from the chicken recipe as well as the fresh sage. I also used what was left of the chicken stock I made. You're definitely going to want to try it.



You'll need:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound frozen large shrimp (peeled and deveined), thawed 
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
2 tablespoons fine chopped fresh sage
   reserved butternut squash (1/2 large squash, peeled and cubed)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
   course salt
1/4 cup sour cream
   fried sage leaves for serving (optional)

In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium.  Add shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate; cover with foil.



Increase heat to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon butter, onion and chopped sage; cook until onion is softened, 8 minutes. Add squash, cayenne and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, 20 minutes. Season with salt. 



Transfer half the mixture to a blender. Add sour cream and puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return to pot along with shrimp; stir to combine. To serve, divide soup among four bowls; top with fried sage leaves, if desired.




I loved this soup! Wonderful fall flavors, just the right amount of hearty, and healthy. Truth be told, I was home sick from work when I made this. It was nice and easy plus comforting. Sounds good to me. I think I would have only enjoyed it more if someone had made it for me. 

2 comments: