Monday, September 26, 2011

braised chicken with butternut squash and cranberries

I subscribe to Everyday Food magazine and love it. I like it so much I've given as a gift. I found this delicious fall recipe in this month's issue. It's also a way to use that delicious chicken stock I made. Here's the good part:

1 large butternut squash, peeled, halved and seeded
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 chicken leg quarters (2 1/2 lbs) split into drumsticks and thighs
1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dried cranberries
course salt and ground pepper

1. Cut half the squash into 1/2-inch pieces and refrigerate for another recipe you'll see another time. Cut remaining squash into 1" pieces and set aside.
2. In a large dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and, in two batches, cook, skin side down, until skin is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a plate; pour off fat from pot.
3. Add 1 tablespoon oil, reserved squash, and onion to pot and cook until vegetables are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add sage, flour, coriander and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add broth and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, 1 minute. Nestle chicken, skin side up, in squash mixture, add cranberries and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through and squash is tender 20-25 minutes.



Yum, right? I made a few tweaks. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and didn't have coriander. I also added a tiny dash of curry powder. I used the stock from a previous post, which had thyme, lemon and garlic in it, which would change the flavor of the final product some.



I covered mine fully, instead of partially, so it was more soupy than intended, but it was delicious! I loved this recipe and it's a great dish for fall. I will definitely make this one again. Thanks Martha!



No comments:

Post a Comment