Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Madeira Cake

I saw this recipe over on Craft and it sounded delicious. The writer also said it's hard to mess up so I thought I'd give it a shot. In the picture, its a beautiful, tall, fluffy cake that I couldn't wait to taste.



The ingredients are basic and the recipe is fairly straight forward. The only issue for me was that the measurements are in ounces. I know chefs (Alton Brown) who prefer this method, but for the regular at-home "chef" it's annoying. I don't own a scale that measures in ounces, sorry. So I roughed it and estimated. I'm sure this contributed to my final product.



It was also the first baked good I made with my homemade butter, but let's just assume that wasn't the problem. Mine looked gorgeous when it came out of the oven but it wasn't the cake of my dreams when I cut into it.



Mine wasn't moist and amazing. It had a texture like corn bread. That's great for corn bread, but not what I'm looking for in a cake. I cut a slice and ate part of it. When it was baking and I could smell it I thought I might have trouble not eating the whole thing. I didn't finish one piece and won't have another. BUT let me say, I think it's my fault, not the recipe's. The pictures from the recipe make it look amazing the author raves about it and says its his favorite birthday cake. I'm sure when its measured correctly that it's wonderful.  On the up side, I think I'm going to make cake truffles with it, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment