Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Corn puddin'

Last year I had the best birthday celebration EVER! A group of friends went with me to the Shady Maple Smorgasbord in East Earl, PA. When I stood at the end of the buffet I literally couldn't see the other end. It was glorious. 5 different kinds of Icee. Something like 15 different kinds of pie. Anything you could think of. I highly recommend going.

 I had some traditional Amish foods for the first time while I was there. The two I liked best were pickled eggs and corn pudding. If you know me, you know my love of corn. I can confidently say it's my favorite vegetable.  I was looking forward to trying corn pudding and loved it. I was browsing an issue of AARP Magazine at work one day (ya, you heard me) and found a recipe and knew I had to make it for you.

Sweet Bourbon Corn Pudding (AARP Magazine Nov/Dec 2010)

2 large eggs
3/4 cup evaporated milk
2 cups creamed corn
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons bourbon mixed in
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
2. Whisk together the eggs and milk. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
3. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Bake 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.



I made a few changes, mostly based on what I had on hand. I had Jameson, which is whiskey, but not bourbon, and used that instead of true bourbon. I used light brown instead of dark brown sugar. I also added a small can of green chiles because I thought it would be delicious.

Overall, I liked it. It was more like a custard than what Shady Maple served me and I like the breadier version there better. It's kind of a trick because it looks like corn bread when you take it out of the oven. But you definitely have to scoop it out rather than cut it.



 This was good, but it is definitely sweet. Next time I would omit the nutmeg and may use cayenne pepper instead. I like a little spice in things. Give it a try and see what you think.

1 comment: