Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chicago Style Italian Beef

This post is brought to you by my sweet friend Kristin. By the power of the internets, she could make this in her home in Wisconsin and I can share it with you from my house in Philadelphia. I'm so excited that she'd share her recipe with us. I met Kristin after she moved to Philadelphia from Chicago and brought with her the deliciousness that is Italian Beef.  Apparently, like cheesesteaks, there is a right way to order your sandwich. Your options include "hot and wet" and "dipped and sweet." Whoa, Chicago!




You'll need:

3-4 lb chuck roast
1 package dry zesty italian salad dressing
12 oz jar pepperoncinis with juice
12 oz jar giardinieria, drained (Chicago style is best) - You do not want Mezzeta brand- too much cauliflower.
1 can low sodium beef broth
hard rolls - I prefer a french baguette
Sharp Provolone (optional)
Salt and Pepper



Season chuck roast with salt and pepper and add to crockpot.  



Add italian dressing, pepperoncinis including liquid, drained giardinieria, & beef broth.



Cook on low 10 - 12 hours.  



Remove beef and shred - add back to crockpot.  Cook 2 more hours. 



 I prefer to slice the french baguette open and layer with pieces of sharp provolone.  Broil until toasted and cheese is melted.  Top with beef mixture and enjoy.  Yum!!


Thanks Kristin!!



1 comment: