Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Savory Broccoli and Cheddar Porridge

One of my favorite comfort foods is porridge. Be it oatmeal, Cream of Wheat or grits, there's something about it that soothes me. I recently rediscovered Cream of Wheat and have been eating a lot of it. I usually just eat it plain or with a little brown sugar. I thought a savory version might be delicious. Here's what I came up with.




You'll need:
3 cups milk
1 cup water
3/4 cup enriched farina, such as Cream of Wheat
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
salt 
freshly ground pepper


Combine milk and water and heat over medium. For 4 servings, you need 4 cups of liquid. You can vary the ratio of milk to water to your liking. I like mine creamy so I use more milk. Cut broccoli into individual florets of varying size. 



When milk starts to bubble, add florets and bring to a boil. Gradually add farina, whisking constantly until well blended. Return to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. (I stir constantly, but I'm like that. I enjoy watching things thicken if we're being honest.) Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season to taste. 



This would be an excellent side dish to pork chops or chicken for dinner or served alongside scrambled eggs for brunch. I may experiment with other cheeses and flavors. Maybe use swiss and stir in some cubed ham. Or make a spicy version using pepper jack. Let me know what variations you try. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. God, this reminds me of THE grits! Looks gooood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sick right now and all I want is someone to come and make me this.

    ReplyDelete